Locals and travelers alike have come to love and frequent The Golden Pear Cafes, located in Bridgehampton, Easthampton, Sag Harbor, and flagship store in Southampton during the holiday season and year-round. The Hamptons, New York-based Golden Pear Cafe chef and owner, Keith Davis, is featuring healthy gourmet Tuscan Stew as part of the menu this Holiday & Christmas season.
Please visit www.goldenpearcafe.com to order holiday gift baskets and for holiday specials catering.
Tuscan Chicken Stew from The Golden Pear Cafe and Catering
(Serves 4-6 adults)
Free-Range, Organic Whole Chicken 1 – (3-4lb. bird)
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil 4 – Tblsp.
Flour 1 – Cup
Spanish Onions (large dice) 2 – Cups
Celery (large dice) 1 – Cup
Carrots (large dice) 1 – Cup
Garlic (fine chop) 2 – Tblsp.
Mushrooms (large chop) 2 – Cups
Yukon Gold Potatoes (cut into 1 inch pieces) 2 – Cups
Tomato Paste 2 – Tblsp.
Dry White Wine 1 – Cup
Chicken Stock* 1 & 1/2 – Quarts
Veal Demi-Glace* 2 – Tblsp.
Fresh Rosemary 1 – Sprig
Fresh Thyme 2 – Sprigs
Fresh Basil Leaves 4 – Large Leaves
Dried Bay Leaves 4
Flat Italian Parsley 4 – Sprigs
Kosher Salt 2-3 Tblsp.
Fresh Ground Black Pepper 1 – Tsp.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Thoroughly wash chicken under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel.
3. Butcher the chicken and remove the bones from the breasts and thighs. Keep drumsticks as they are. Trim the wing from the smaller drumstick section.
4. Cut the breast and thigh meat into 1 & 1⁄2” chunks.
5. In a large steel bowl, dread the chicken pieces and meat in the flour, seasoned with a little salt and pepper.
6. In a large, oven-proof casserole, heat the olive over medium-high heat.
7. Add the chicken pieces and brown thoroughly for about 5-7 minutes.
8. Remove from the casserole and set aside on a plate.
9. Add the onions, celery and carrots, reduce heat to medium and sauté the mirepoix for 10-12 minutes until onions are translucent and carrots are soft.
10. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
11. Add 3 Tblsp. of flour to this mixture and sauté for 2 minutes to prepare the roux.
12. Add the tomato paste and sauté for 2 minutes stirring to combine all ingredients.
13. Add the white wine and deglaze the bottom of the casserole. Reduce wine by half, 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
14. Add the chicken stock and demi-glace. Gently stir all together. Bring to a simmer.
15. Add all of the chicken to the casserole. The stock mixture should just cover all the chicken and vegetables.
16. Wrap up the fresh herbs in cheese cloth and tie together with butcher’s twine to keep together. Add the satchel to the stew.
17. Cover the casserole and place in the center of the oven and let braise for 2 hours.
18. When there is 45 minutes remaining in the braising time, add the potatoes and mushrooms.
19. When stew is finished, remove from oven, uncover and remove the herbs satchel. Let stew rest on the stove top for 10 minutes.
20. Taste the stew, add salt and pepper if desired.
21. Serve stew as is with crusty, warm Tuscan or sourdough bread or over your favorite pasta or egg noodles.
22. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
*Concentrated chicken stock base and veal demi-glace is now available in many gourmet food stores and at numerous web-sites. The Golden Pear recommends purchasing chicken stock base and veal demi-glace from: www.morethangourmet.com
The Golden Pear
99 Main Street, Southampton, NY 11968